Saturday, October 18, 2008

Lumbergh Knows What He's Doing

Working in any profession you know that the potential for night and weekend work is always a possibility. For some, such as myself, it has become an enduring reality. What I did not know, was that a theory had been developed which applied to my condition. This theory, consistent-commitment theory, proposes that people who have fulfilled a minor request if asked again, will likely and willingly participate in a second, larger demand. (Vaidyanathan & Aggarwal, 2005). If the concept is perpetuated, as it is in my case, the line between polite request and obligation begins to blur. Weekend work is no longer seen as an isolated occurrence but an anticipated behavior. Why do I keep doing this? According to the article, I maintain this behavior because people innately desire to conduct themselves in a consistent manner. (Vaidyanthan &Aggarwal, 2005) I agree with this synopsis. The thought of not providing this service causes more anxiety than performing the demanded task.

One who is persuasive has the ability to make others view or at least concede a different perspective on an idea or argument. These individuals do not necessarily cause you to completely alter your line of thinking, rather they cause you to re-evaluate your original point-of-view. To be a leader today and in the future, an individual needs to have global context. You can no longer be successful by maintaining an insularly, narrowed vision. With this constricted view, one would fail to make a persuasive argument to different regions of the country and of course to the world at large.

What do u think?

Vaidyanathan, R. & Aggarwal, P. (2005). Using commitments to drive consistency: Enhancing the effectiveness of cause-related marketing communications. Journal of Marketing Communications, 11(4), 231-246.

2 comments:

Rachel Thomas said...

Chris,
I feel the same way in my job. I feel like my boss expects me to eat lunch with my coworkers. I am kind of private and I prefer to eat at my desk. When my supervisor is around I am a team player even on my breaks!
Rachel

Carolyn said...

When my husband worked for Sharon Regional Hospital we lived right next door. We were newly married and he would come home everyday for lunch with me. The women he worked with flipped because he didn't eat with them. They ultimately pushed to have him fired because he wasn't a "team player". I feel the pain.

Followers